IBA, as the premier business brokerage firm in the Pacific Northwest, is firmly established as a respected professional service firm in the legal, accounting, banking, mergers & acquisitions, real estate, and financial planning communities. Periodically, we will post guest blogs from professionals with knowledge to share for the good of owners of privately held companies & family owned businesses. The following blog has been provided by Lauren Owen of Lauren Owen Consulting (www.laurenowenllc.com).
How to Hire Your A-Team for Selling a Business or as an Entrepreneur
“Ok,” my client said, “I get it, the only way I’m going to get where I want to go with this company is by having only A-level people on my team. But where do I find them?”
Here’s how my clients find their A-Team members. They:
- Get referrals from their current A-Team members. Most likely your A-Team folks know other A-level people. Remember, your A-Team members want to work with other A-level people so it’s to their benefit to find the best potential candidates.
- Are constantly on the look-out for high potential people: their networking is as much about finding good people as it is about finding good opportunities for their business.
- Compete in their community’s Top Places to Work award programs (and usually win). They promote their status as such to clients, vendors, and potential team members.
- Are clear about what makes an A-Team member. They design their hiring process around determining if potential hires have these same qualities.
- Are sure to share their vision story with potential hires (and everyone else for that matter). A-players want to work with leaders who have an exciting vision.
- Never hire anyone they aren’t very, very excited about. As one client told me, “If we aren’t doing back flips over a potential hire, we don’t make the offer.”
- Are not afraid to steal great people from their competitors.
- Hire as much (or maybe more) for culture fit as skills.
- Are not afraid to pay top dollar for an A-level person. Remember, a true A-level person will give you a great return on your investment.
- Find talent from within. They are always looking for and developing the “diamonds in the rough”.
How will you attract your A-Team members?
Lauren Owen is a coach who works with business owners who are serious about increasing their bottom line and adding value to their companies. You can reach Lauren at (206) 427-2856 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
IBA, the Pacific Northwest’s premier business brokerage firm since 1975, is available as an information resource to the media, business brokerage, and mergers & acquisitions community on subjects relevant to the purchase & sale of privately held companies and family owned businesses. IBA is recognized as one of the best business brokerage firms in the nation based on its long track record of successfully negotiating “win-win” business sale transactions in environments of full disclosure employing “best practices”.